Turns out, the Vikings start play this weekend. Since we do hail from Minnesota, it'd probably be a good idea to post something previewing the first game. Even better, we'll have Andrew from Bleed Purple blog do it for us! Yay laziness!
Enjoy and check out Bleed Purple for more Vikings and NFL coverage -
The Vikings travel to Detroit in week one and face the Detroit Lions in our NFC North Division. Has the roar been restored? The Common man sure thinks so! I might agree with the Common man on this, but not in week one. I think the Lions go from last in the division to competing for first this season. With the addition of Reggie Bush, makes this offense lethal. They won't meet again until week 17.
Vikings and the Lions have played a total of 103 games against each other, but the Vikings lead the series 68-33-2. Last season the Vikings finished at 10-6 and sneaked into the playoffs, the Lions had a horrible season with a 4-12 record.
1. Adrian Peterson is the best NFL running back and will create issues for the Lions. Our offense is run through Adrian and can turn negative yardage into 50 plus yard gains. Look for AP to come out with a chip on his shoulder.
2. Cordarrelle Patterson is an explosive young Wide Receiver who can exploit defenders. Look for Patterson to be a big piece of our success against the Lions.
3. Christian Ponder is the biggest question mark, but fans stick with him. He may start out slow, but will make plays in week one against a below average secondary.
1. Calvin Johnson is the NFL's best Wide Receiver and will get lots of looks. He has been very successful against us in the past and will be tough to contain once again.
2. Matthew Stafford has more weapons from a year ago and will be difficult to frustrate.
3. Reggie Bush is the newest addition to this explosive offense and does so much out of the backfield. He could be a huge weapon in week one.
The Vikings must pressure Stafford and try to contain big plays from Calvin Johnson and Reggie Bush. On Offense we must see Christian Ponder manage the game and spread the ball around to guys like Greg Jennings, Kyle Rudolph, Jerome Simpson, Cordarrelle Patterson and Jarius Wright. Ponder can be successful I believe if our offensive line creates holes for Peterson and can protect. Peterson should have a huge game and has had success against the Lions.
Vikings 31 Lions 24
Line: Lions -4.5
Next Game: vs. Chicago Bears